WHAT IS DCI?The Drum and Bugle Corps International
WHERE IS IT HELD?
Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana
WHO WON?
The Blue Devils from Concord, CA (seen above), the corps we were hoping would win.
So with that being said, I can tell you that Jack spent four days back East. He flew to Des Moines where Chris and Jackie picked him up and they drove to Indianapolis. They went to the championships on that Saturday night in the brand new Indianapolis Colts stadium (with retractable roof) and drove back to Des Moines on Sunday with Jack flying back on Monday. The brand new stadium was beautiful but.....it turned out to be a terrible place to hold a band
competition - why? Because the sound just bounced off the other side and back to them making the sound very uncomfortable. Part of the problem too was that the retractable roof was closed, but to open it would let in the hot and humid weather outside (more on that in a bit), so even though they were in seats quite high up in the stands, it turned out to be the best place to be due to the least amount of echo coming back at them. One thing is sure, they will never go back to that stadium again. However, even though the main point of the trip was to go to DCI, Jack's main focus was bonding with Chris and Jackie and they had a great time. Jack got to meet Jackie's family, he got to see her engagement ring firsthand, and he got to see their apartment. I got to see the pictures. So here's what stood out the most on their trip, the weather was HORRIBLE! Hot and humid, plus Chris' car had no air conditioning (we're working on that), so having pictured what that must have been like in my head, I told Chris and Jackie afterwards that there are now THREE absolutes in life. FIRST, you have to pay taxes, TWO, we're all going to die some day, and THREE, there is no way in hell they would ever find me in Iowa between May and September. I grew up in Wisconsin and know what humidity is like and as an adult, I don't need to revisit that to remember it. As a child growing up in weather like that, you don't know any different, but now that I know the difference, forget it!
competition - why? Because the sound just bounced off the other side and back to them making the sound very uncomfortable. Part of the problem too was that the retractable roof was closed, but to open it would let in the hot and humid weather outside (more on that in a bit), so even though they were in seats quite high up in the stands, it turned out to be the best place to be due to the least amount of echo coming back at them. One thing is sure, they will never go back to that stadium again. However, even though the main point of the trip was to go to DCI, Jack's main focus was bonding with Chris and Jackie and they had a great time. Jack got to meet Jackie's family, he got to see her engagement ring firsthand, and he got to see their apartment. I got to see the pictures. So here's what stood out the most on their trip, the weather was HORRIBLE! Hot and humid, plus Chris' car had no air conditioning (we're working on that), so having pictured what that must have been like in my head, I told Chris and Jackie afterwards that there are now THREE absolutes in life. FIRST, you have to pay taxes, TWO, we're all going to die some day, and THREE, there is no way in hell they would ever find me in Iowa between May and September. I grew up in Wisconsin and know what humidity is like and as an adult, I don't need to revisit that to remember it. As a child growing up in weather like that, you don't know any different, but now that I know the difference, forget it!





No comments:
Post a Comment