Thursday, August 13, 2009

CRASH, BANG, AND PIGEON POOP

This past Tuesday was a Murphy's Law day for me. Whatever could have gone wrong in one day did go wrong. Let's start with a phone call from Shawn saying he was in a car accident on the 5 Fwy at Auto Center Drive, on the way to work. Some woman forced him into the center divider after she was pushed from her lane by an SUV. Shawn doesn't remember much after. He doesn't remember calling me to say he was in an accident. He doesn't remember hitting his head on the steering wheel, and he doesn't remember calling me from the ambulance and telling me they were taking him to St. Jude. So fast forward......Shawn spent two hours at St. Jude after getting a CT scan of his head, an EKG for his heart, and an x-ray for his knee, all of which came back normal. The only fatality, thank God, was his truck, which was totaled. We drove to the tow yard to get his stuff out of the truck, and he said goodbye to his faithful friend that took him wherever he needed to go, even though it was a gas guzzler. So after picking up his pain meds at the pharmacy, as well as some food for his empty stomach, we headed home. So just when I thought we had enough excitement for one day, I'm at home sitting at my computer, and I hear a crash coming from the patio. I went outside and found that a pigeon (whom I'm convinced was on a suicide mission), flew right into the back bedroom window and shattered it. At my feet lay the dead bird which I quickly disposed of between a thick layer of grass clippings where today he'll be off to the big compost heap in the sky. I then swept up the glass and taped cardboard around the window frame. Now waiting to find someone to replace that glass at a relatively low price, but was rest assured by our landlady that she would indeed pay for it, I like that price - free! Even though my day was a crazy one that started at 6:30am, it was soon to be rectified by something wonderful that was taking place at 7:30pm in Costa Mesa. Jack and I had tickets to see "Fiddler on the Roof", our favorite musical, starring our favorite Tevye, Topol. We left our worries behind and headed to the Orange County Performing Arts Center, and there we enjoyed giving Topol the standing ovation he deserved. He's now 72 years old, he was 32 when he starred in the movie version, and he's still got it, in fact, I would even go so far as to say that he's even better than he was in the movie. He's slimmed down a bit, but 40 years later he's still dancing and singing better than ever. We had a wonderful time and it was great to get away from totaled trucks, hospital visits and dead birds even if just for a few hours............

No comments: