It was a whirlwind of a week, and I'll start with DAY ONE: TUESDAY - I picked up Chris and Jackie from the OC airport on Tuesday night around 11pm. We do our usual thing, we stop at Jack-in-the-Box for Jackie's chicken tenders and egg rolls and Chris' Ultimate Cheeseburger (they have no Jack-in-the-Boxes in Iowa). Then home to eat and then to bed.
DAY TWO: WEDNESDAY - The shower was held at one of Jackie's favorite restaurants (there aren't any in Iowa), Macaroni Grill. We had the alcove which is a semi-private room off the main room, our own little area. Jackie's Maid of Honor (MOH), Katie Stone (who was absolutely delightful to be around), really got into her role as MOH. It turns out that her and her mother took the time to put together favors for the tables at the
wedding, something we knew nothing about but totally appreciated. They were mini sipping glasses filled with custom-designed M&Ms. She used the dark green and cobalt blue colors from the wedding for the M&Ms and had "Chris and Jackie" on some of them and their picture on the rest! What a wonderful surprise that was. Katie also got Jackie a tiara that said "Bride to Be" with a short veil flowing behind it (see pic). We were joined at the shower by Aunt Peggy (friend of
the family), Lori Haake (friend of the family), Aunts Sue and Andrea, Nana (Chris' grandmother), and Monica Hagmaier (friend of Jackie's that she worked with at Fullerton College). We played a game - "How Well Do You Know Jackie?" - who won? Katie knew her the best! (She's known Jackie since 5th grade!)
wedding, something we knew nothing about but totally appreciated. They were mini sipping glasses filled with custom-designed M&Ms. She used the dark green and cobalt blue colors from the wedding for the M&Ms and had "Chris and Jackie" on some of them and their picture on the rest! What a wonderful surprise that was. Katie also got Jackie a tiara that said "Bride to Be" with a short veil flowing behind it (see pic). We were joined at the shower by Aunt Peggy (friend of
the family), Lori Haake (friend of the family), Aunts Sue and Andrea, Nana (Chris' grandmother), and Monica Hagmaier (friend of Jackie's that she worked with at Fullerton College). We played a game - "How Well Do You Know Jackie?" - who won? Katie knew her the best! (She's known Jackie since 5th grade!) DAY THREE: THURSDAY - This was a busy day. I had to pick up my girlfriend, Karla (that I've known since the 5th grade) who was flying in from Minnesota at the OC airport, then we picked up Jackie's stepdad, sister and her friend from the Fullerton train station. We all needed to be at the wedding rehearsal on the Queen Mary by 3pm, so we all drove down there together. Jack and I took little Shawn (whom I'll call Shawnee from this point on) with us to the ship, and he had a great time there just looking at the water, and the big ship itself he thought was
pretty cool (see pic of Shawnee with Aisling). The rehearsal went along just fine and since they were being married on the Sun Deck, we knew that it would be breezy up there, but it was a cool breeze on a hot day, perfect (picture: Teddie, Katie, Jackie, Coordinator, Chris, Allen, Shawn, Brian).
pretty cool (see pic of Shawnee with Aisling). The rehearsal went along just fine and since they were being married on the Sun Deck, we knew that it would be breezy up there, but it was a cool breeze on a hot day, perfect (picture: Teddie, Katie, Jackie, Coordinator, Chris, Allen, Shawn, Brian). That same night at 6:30pm, Aunts Sue and Andrea hosted a Rehearsal Dinner at Sue's house. We had a wonderful BBQ dinner poolside consisting of BBQ chicken, cole slaw, potato
salad, baked beans and fresh strawberries. Aunt Sue made lemon and chocolate cupcakes for dessert and had Chris and Jackie practice for the wedding cake (see pic). Uncle Terry gave Chris and Jackie a toast, and we all had a great time. Later on into the night, Jack had to go to the airport and pick up Jackie's aunt and three children that are related to Jackie in one way or the other, one of the three was one of the flower girls. They were tired and hungry, so we fed them and got to know them a little better.
DAY FOUR: FRIDAY - So this is when the "Dress Drama" first started. Jackie had the dress shipped 2nd day air from Iowa to my house. Well, that's what was supposed to happen anyway. We were to have had the dress in our hands on Thursday, but come Friday morning, it was nowhere to be found. So Jackie called the David's Bridal and as she's talking to them on the phone in front of me I hear her say, "It's still there?" That's when Jackie handed me the phone and said, "Mom, can you talk to them please?" She handed me the phone, turned around, went into the next room and cried real tears wondering what she was going to do now! So I took the phone, talked to the manager and said, "OK, so how are you going to fix this?" Turns out the dress was never shipped from Iowa, and it was going to be Fedexed next day, due to arrive in Orange no later than 11am the next morning, the day of the wedding!
The manager was horrified to hear of this error after coming back from a maternity leave, so she was willing to do whatever she possibly could to make it right.
The manager was horrified to hear of this error after coming back from a maternity leave, so she was willing to do whatever she possibly could to make it right. More on the dress drama later....
So Friday night involved dinner at The House of Blues at Downtown Disney and Jackie's Bachelorette Party. This was my first time meeting Jackie's Mom (Gloria) and "bio dad" (Stuart). I can see now where Jackie gets her eyes from - identical! (see pic) I also met Jackie's stepdad, Scott, for the first time, all great people - well, they'd have to be to have raised such a wonderful girl as Jackie! (see pic) After dinner at The House of Blues, the girls all went to ESPN Zone, and what a disappointment that was. Everyone was watching the Dodger game, and then when that ended, they put on the Angels game (I was interested in that, but not what I was there for). So we went upstairs to
the bar up there, and felt kind of strange drinking out of our penis straws with children running around, so once children were sighted, we covered up our penises. I got to meet other relatives of Jackie's, one in particular, Jackie's cousin, Michelle from San Diego. We clicked immediately, so we'll be in touch with each other in the future I'm sure.
the bar up there, and felt kind of strange drinking out of our penis straws with children running around, so once children were sighted, we covered up our penises. I got to meet other relatives of Jackie's, one in particular, Jackie's cousin, Michelle from San Diego. We clicked immediately, so we'll be in touch with each other in the future I'm sure. DAY FIVE: SATURDAY - WEDDING DAY - Back to the "Dress Drama". We were told by the manager in Iowa that the dress would be shipped via Fedex and delivered to the closest Fedex office to our house and that was in Orange, so
I drove there, waited for the truck, picked up the dress (hallelujah!), and headed to the David's Bridal in Brea where Jackie first bought the dress. I show up there with a big box in my hands, and as I'm trying to rip off the tape, I'm explaining to the manager what happened. She turned on the steamer, the girl started steaming the dress and I left. During this time, Jackie and her bridesmaids were getting their hair and makeup done at my house. I told Jackie that I would pick up the dress when it was done, but just to reassure herself (and I don't blame her), she wanted to get it herself. So she and the bridesmaids drove there, picked up the dress and drove straight to the Queen Mary. End of "Dress Drama", but imagine what Jackie was going through during that time - yikes! We headed to the Queen Mary ourselves and everything from that point on went off without a hitch. The weather was perfect, in the high 70's, but a cool breeze off the water. It made wearing the suits for the men enjoyable. The ship's captain performed the ceremony in full uniform, and he was a
delight. Music played in the background and the processional began. Allen walked Jackie's mom, Gloria first, then Shawn walked with me next. The bridesmaids were next, and they wore dark green or cobalt blue dresses (made by sister Sue, great job!), and held bouquets of iris (Jackie's favorite flower). The two flower girls (Vanessa and Aisling) and ring bearer (Shawnee) followed. Jackie was walked in by her stepdad, Scott, and Jackie's bouquet was red
roses and iris, a stunning combination. Jackie was given to Chris at the base of the altar and up the steps they walked. Vows were exchanged without a hitch. There was a point when candles were to be lit by the mothers of the bride and groom, and then Chris and Jackie were supposed to take a candle and light their unity candle, but the breeze wouldn't allow for that, so we skipped that part.
I drove there, waited for the truck, picked up the dress (hallelujah!), and headed to the David's Bridal in Brea where Jackie first bought the dress. I show up there with a big box in my hands, and as I'm trying to rip off the tape, I'm explaining to the manager what happened. She turned on the steamer, the girl started steaming the dress and I left. During this time, Jackie and her bridesmaids were getting their hair and makeup done at my house. I told Jackie that I would pick up the dress when it was done, but just to reassure herself (and I don't blame her), she wanted to get it herself. So she and the bridesmaids drove there, picked up the dress and drove straight to the Queen Mary. End of "Dress Drama", but imagine what Jackie was going through during that time - yikes! We headed to the Queen Mary ourselves and everything from that point on went off without a hitch. The weather was perfect, in the high 70's, but a cool breeze off the water. It made wearing the suits for the men enjoyable. The ship's captain performed the ceremony in full uniform, and he was a
delight. Music played in the background and the processional began. Allen walked Jackie's mom, Gloria first, then Shawn walked with me next. The bridesmaids were next, and they wore dark green or cobalt blue dresses (made by sister Sue, great job!), and held bouquets of iris (Jackie's favorite flower). The two flower girls (Vanessa and Aisling) and ring bearer (Shawnee) followed. Jackie was walked in by her stepdad, Scott, and Jackie's bouquet was red
roses and iris, a stunning combination. Jackie was given to Chris at the base of the altar and up the steps they walked. Vows were exchanged without a hitch. There was a point when candles were to be lit by the mothers of the bride and groom, and then Chris and Jackie were supposed to take a candle and light their unity candle, but the breeze wouldn't allow for that, so we skipped that part. One of the neat ideas that Jackie had were to have places in the audience reflecting those who couldn't be in attendance but were watching from above. Jackie's grandparents and her two aunts were there in honor and in spirit, as well as my dad and my grandparents. My mom was touched by that gesture, and that added to the emotions we felt watching Chris and Jackie take their vows. Sitting there, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, how the time had gone by so fast since Chris was just a little blond-haired boy who liked to play basketball in the driveway. I'm sure Gloria felt the same way about Jackie, we're so proud of them
both. Pictures were taken of just about everyone in any pose possible by the photographer, and Karla, my friend, bless her, took 1,039 pictures during her entire stay with us. She got into places with her camera that no one else did, and I'm grateful to her so much for that. She didn't get just shots of people, but she took pictures of things around the room or the area, and those will be used to for background pictures in the photo book. Off to the reception at The Reef Restaurant. We were able to walk from the Queen Mary to the Reef, it only took
about 10 minutes to get there, and what made the walk even more enjoyable was passing by the park that lies between the ship and the restaurant. They were having a Terrier Dog Show, so I got to see a lot of Westies! By the time I got to the restaurant, everyone was busy still getting things ready. We couldn't even get into the ballroom until 4:30 because the room was being used for another wedding, and they have to leave by 4pm, but by the time I got there, the room was pretty much put together. The linens were on the tables, the chair
covers were in place, sister Cheryl was lighting the votives (flameless) in the centerpieces, Andrea was getting the Sweet Table in order, and Sue was helping Jenny (nephew Brian's wife who made the gorgeous cake) get the sugar flowers on the cake. Thanks to my friend, Donna, who put the centerpieces together for me, I couldn't thank her enough for helping me with that arduous chore, but the end result was beautiful! By the way, cheapest roses in town - Costco (two dozen for $14.99)! The cocktail hour on the patio was wonderful, the first hour offered free wine, beer and hard drinks, and the bartender, Nicholas was delightful to our guests and I think he even had a good time. I met even more of Jackie's family. She had relatives coming in from San Diego, Santa Rosa, and even Kentucky! At 7pm it was time to have guests enter the ballroom, and it was just beautiful. Jack's swing band was playing in one corner of the room, and they were terrific! So many weddings use DJs at the reception, and I'm so glad we were able to get Jack's band to play. Everyone loved the songs they played and the music urged people to get on the dance floor. I had to drag a few people out there, but it was a lot of fun. Shawn, Aisling, and
some of the kids there were dancing too, and they had a ball. Here is the cake again with handmade sugar flowers, roses and iris, the detail is amazing. How many people can say that the flowers on their wedding cake were hand painted by a Disney animator? My nephew helped out a lot - thanks Brian!
Jack's cousin, Anita Ross, drove out from Texas and drove back the night of the wedding to Brawley, CA to stay with her daughter who couldn't make it to the wedding. Anita was out there dancing with the best of them.
And Jackie's grandfather (in his 80's), was out on the dance floor dancing it up as if he were back in the '40's listening to Glenn Miller - he was a lot of fun to watch. As the band played "The Stripper", Chris got down on one knee and pulled off Jackie's garter. It was caught by Tommy Haake, who happens to be getting married next March. Jackie threw her bouquet and it was caught by one of her cousins, if I'm remembering correctly. Soon it was
time to cut the cake. By that time the photographer had left, so I'm grateful to all who took pictures of that!
time to cut the cake. By that time the photographer had left, so I'm grateful to all who took pictures of that!








No comments:
Post a Comment