Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I QUIT SMOKING 20 YEARS AGO!

I should have made note of this back on January 8th, but because it's such a landmark date for me in my life, it's definitely worth mentioning. I quit smoking 20 years ago in January. I started smoking just when I got out of high school in January of 1974 thanks to my two friends from high school and the church choir I was in at that time. I know, I can't blame them, but it WAS their idea to get me started and I was foolish enough to "follow the crowd". I quit each time I was pregnant, but started again after I had them. Jack was still smoking at the time and it was very hard to stay a non-smoker with him smoking in the house. So on January 8, 1989 I called Jack at work, asked him if he had any cigarettes left and told him it was time to quit, for a few reasons: 1) the kids were coming home from school saying we should stop taking drugs (tobacco only, just so you know), 2) we got tired of non-smokers "fake coughing" when they would see us smoking in public and 3) the cigarette tax had just gone up. I knew I wanted to stop smoking when cigarettes went up to a dollar a pack - we ended up quitting when they were $1.25 a pack.Jack had a harder time quitting than I did since he always worked at a car dealership and almost all of the mechanics smoke. I was working in a non-smoking office in Irvine, so it was much easier for me, in fact, with me it was like turning off a switch, I never missed it. In Jack's case, it was a definite addiction, and it took him three years to where he could actually say he missed it. So here's a toast to me for adding five more years to my life the day I stopped smoking those cancer sticks - other than having my children, this was a momentous day in my life!


1 comment:

Karlita Harriman said...

Laurie and Jack,
CONGRATS!!! I am happy you both quit as well and that you've extended your life by many years I hope. Now you will have a long future ahead, to enjoy your sweet adorable grandson and Big sons too.
Have Fun
Slick