Sunday, February 7, 2010

MY MOST IMPORTANT POSTING YET!


Last Wednesday, Feb 3, I decided to change my life. Actually, it started more than a year ago, but the wheels started turning last October. I made a lifetime decision and had gastric bypass surgery. Here's a "before" and "after" picture of what changes with surgery. Basically it's a drastic way to lose weight, a lot of weight, but the key is to keep it off, just like any other diet. After much soul searching I decided that it was for me, and with that decision comes commitment, and I've decided that my life is worth that commitment. I've spent so many years taking care of family and home, that I decided to take care of Laurie, before it's too late. I'm also a diabetic, and I didn't want that as part of my future anymore. This surgery resolves diabetes, it also resolves high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I don't have high blood pressure or sleep apnea, but thought I'd mention that fact here too. The surgery lasted 1-1/2 hours and all went very well. When I went into the hospital, my blood sugar was at 200, when I left the hospital, it was 142, when I checked it three hours ago, it was at 112. My doctor has already taken me off two of the three medicines I was on, so I'm on my way to better health already. I was given liquid Vicadin to take for pain, but I've found that the only time I've taken it is before I go to bed (just in case I need it for pain during my sleep and don't have to wait even longer for it to kick in). This is a long process, and it started after my gall bladder surgery. Most people who have gastric bypass surgery will eventually have to have their gall bladders removed, so I'm already "one up" on all that. THE PROCESS: first I went to an orientation, and I entered a room that was filled with overweight people and larger-than-average chairs. When you're overweight, you notice those things right away, sitting in a chair you don't have to squeeze into. There I had to answer 200 questions which acts as a generalized psychiatric evaluation. You have to answer questions like "do you hear voices in your head" or "have you ever felt the desire to do yourself in", and "why do you think you overeat", things like that. Then you sign up for your classes - 1) a meeting with a psychiatrist (to go over the questions you answered and how you answered them), 2) a nutrition class to talk about what you will and won't be eating, and in some instances, some foods that you can never have again, 3) a support group where you talk with others who have had or are going to have the surgery, 4) a Doctor Talk, where one of the doctors talks about the procedures, the risks, the benefits, etc., and 5) a One-On-One with the doctor who will be performing your surgery. Like I said before, this is not a decision taken lightly. Food has always been a comfort to me, I've eaten at times just because I'm bored, and it's taken it's toll on my body and my mind. Jack has been so helpful this weekend in getting me started on my food regimen, so to give you an idea as to what I'll be eating for the first three weeks throughout each day - 4 ozs. of Carnation Instant Breakfast, 2 ozs. of Malt-o-Meal or Cream of Wheat, 4 oz. of juice with a protein drink added, 2 ozs. of diet jello, 1/4 cup of reduced fat cream of chicken soup, 2 ozs. of sugar-free pudding, and more juice. The biggest goal is to consume 42 grams of protein per day. Thanks to my friend Rachel who also went through the surgery, she gave me her extra bottles of protein drink, every little bit helps. This blog will keep track of my efforts and act as a journal too, I'm sure I'll want to talk about it to someone, even if it's only to myself. SO, effective Feb 5, the day I came home from the hospital, the countdown started - 346 pounds no more, and on to a brighter and healthier future - hooray for me!

No comments: